Jul 10, 2012

Colour My Denim Happy

You've seen them in every bold, bright colours you could think of: pink, red, teal, coral, yellow magenta, etc. They've become so popular in recent years and perhaps already made headway to your closet as a spring/summer staple.

Coloured jeans were almost impossible to find in high street stores few years ago as they haven't caught up with the trend until last summer. Now, most hight street brands carry them in rainbow colours with lower price tags compared to designer brands like True Religion, J Brand and Rag & Bone. However, they can be a little overwhelming, which is why I find the addition of coloured denim shorts into this trend a genius, especially for Malaysia's scorching heat.

Coloured denim shorts can still be bold and fun without the length and a lot less daunting with a peek of colour, particularly for those who are not much of a risk taker in fashion but still want to stay on trend. So, why not take this opportunity to snag your perfect pair during the 1 Malaysia Mega Sale happening now.

Little Bits; RM35; available in pink, white, yellow and lavender
Photo credits

SIN; RM59; available in aqua blue and salmon
Also available at Zalora
Photo credits

LIKE from Zalora; RM50.15; available only in fuchsia
Photo credits
Forever 21; RM55; available in 19 colours
Photo credits
Cotton On; original price RM79; now 2 pairs for RM75;
available in red, black, blue, pink, khaki, yellow and burgundy
Photo credits


The thought of candy-coloured shorts brighten up any outfit got me jumping into the bandwagon; I purchased a pair in yellow from Cotton On. It was great to have a friend shopping with me the other day as I wouldn't be forced into the deal of buying two pairs of shorts when I only wanted one. Essentially, it only costed me RM37.50; what a steal!

The denim shorts was put to test last weekend when I went to Fraser's Hill for a short vacation. I went for horse riding, archery and sightseeing in it and it proved to be very comfortable. No qualms at all about the shorts riding up a single bit particularly after I got off of the horse.

I paired it with a vintage flower print top (rocking the bold print trend at the same time) for an extra splash of colour to enliven my mood.

Cotton On denim shorts; RM37.50 (2 for RM75) (similar available at F.O.S)
Vintage top; price unavailable
Pallas shoes; price unavailable
River Island bag; £35/RM175; available in black and cream

Kitschen bracelets; RM10 and RM15;
Various designs available from RM10-RM30

Photos by Tan Wei Jin


What do you think?
What are your thoughts on the coloured denim trend? Would you wear a coloured denim? Which is your favourite? How would you style it? If you know of other places to shop for affordable coloured denim shorts or coloured jeans, do share with me.
Don't forget to leave a comment and tell me what you think!