Oct 15, 2012

Flat-tastic Smoking Slippers

If you knew me personally, you would know that I love wearing my skyscraping heels on dates, special ocassions, nights out or when I'm simply in the mood. As much as I love teetering around in hazard-tripping stilettos, I would say I'm more of a flats-kinda-girl - I seek retreat from my trusty comfortable flats any day.

Every woman I know who wears achingly high heels would have a pair of flats stashed in their cars or under the office desk for emergency relief of their feet and back aches. But why reveal them in chagrin when they deserve as much attention as their stiletto counterparts? With a plethora of flats to choose from: brogues, loafers, oxfords, slippers, moccasins and ballet flats; your style would still not be sacrificed and is anything but flat except your footwear.

Give a chance to your flats to make as big of a shoe statement as heels, or even bigger. Turn the heat up this season by switching your classic ballet flats to these wallet-friendly smoking slippers that ooze the right amount of androgyny in its masculine cut to add class, spunk and dressiness to any look. All you need is just the right pair in an eye-catching shade and design with just as much sass as heels and an in-your-face attitude written all over it.

flat shoes online malaysia
Zalora; RM49.90 RM39.92; available in green, blue, tan and black
Photo credits

flat shoes online malaysia
Shoes Haven; RM42
Photo credits

flat shoes online malaysia
Lunavocy; RM46; available in pink and blue
Photo credits

flat shoes online malaysia
Lunavocy; RM51; available in blue and brown
Photo credits

flat shoes online malaysia
Lolita Polka Dot; RM55; available in red and blue
Similar also available at Vincci
Photo credits

flat shoes online malaysia
Lunavocy; RM69; available in black, silver and gold
Photo credits

flat shoes online malaysia
Lunavocy; RM73; available in leopard brown, leopard red and leopard black
Photo credits

flat shoes online malaysia
Cotton On; RM79; available in leopard, red, pink, black, green, yellow and tan
Photo credits

flat shoes online malaysia
The Arrogant Minnie; RM89; available in blue, black and red
Photo credits

Smoking slippers are as easy to style as ballet flats but they're more versatile as they could go from casual to formal. Opt for a pair in black patented leather and they would be dressy enough to sport to the office à la Alexa Chung.

I like pairing my hot pink studded pair that I purchased last autumn with a neutral-coloured outfit and minimal accessories to play up my already edgy flats by making them the statement piece. Plus, they make a simple, nonchalant outfit looks like it took more time to put together than it actually did. I couldn't be happier that this autumnal trend is back again for another year on an escalated level; the more reasons to wear my menswear-inspired loafer more often.

flat shoes online malaysia
DV by Dolce Vita shoes; £39/RM195
H&M top via F.O.S; RM20
H&M jeans; £19.99; RM119
Bag (gifted); price unavailable
Kitschen bracelet; RM10 (last seen here)
Forever 21 necklace; RM7
Moris belt; RM25


These suede smoking slippers are by far my most expensive purchase of shoes and they gave me blisters within the first month of trying to break them in. Like all leathers, they took awhile to become soft and pliable but the soreness from wearing them got me so close to disappointment and regrets of burning my cash; fortunately they proved to be as comfortable as they're stunning and now my most prized pair of shoes.

flat shoes online malaysia
Photos by Teo Yi Ting

Because I have a penchant for walking fast (result of living in chilly England for a year) and dislike restricted movements from wearing heels, which sometimes makes me feel like I have something stuck up my arse, I kept my eyes opened for nude-coloured flats that go with any outfit. It helps that the flesh tone colour makes my legs appear longer too. Luck was certainly on my side when I spotted the last pair of tan-coloured smoking slippers on the rack for a discounted price at Cotton On last month. I give them the upper hand because they didn't savage the skin on my feet like my Dolce Vita's even on the first wear.

Now, don't my Dolce Vita's look happier with a new sister as it won't be overworked?

flat shoes online malaysia
Cotton On; RM79 RM30

What do you think?
What are your thoughts on the smoking slippers trend? Would you wear them or do you prefer heels over flats? Which is your favourite? How would you style it? If you know of other places to shop for affordable smoking slippers, do share with me.
Don't forget to leave a comment and tell me what you think!